Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Extra Credit Assignment

I entered McDonald’s last night at Times Square and began my extra credit assignment. I walked up to the register looked at the cashier with a smirk on my face and asked for a plain hamburger with 4 pickles and small french fries without any salt. When my order was entered into the register he looked at me with a grin on his face like I was the strangest person in the world. The cashier hooked me up because there were no dollar fries on the Dollar Menu and put in the register as though I was ordering a parfait. The cashier then proceeded to turn to the people cooking and putting the food together and told them a plain hamburger with 4 pickles and had to repeat 4 pickles on the hamburger. I started to laugh at that and did not think that they would be able to do it. It was quick though; before I knew it I had my order in my hand and thanked the man. The entire process took about 7 minutes from the time I placed my order to receiving my food. It only took 3 people to complete my order: the cashier, the cook or person preparing the food, and the person preparing the french fries. I guess since it was 42nd street they really did not have any time to really ask or care why I had just ordered a plain hamburger with 4 pickles. The person preparing the food gave me some looks like “is this guy serious?” When I did receive the food and opened it up they had the french fries with no salt correct but the hamburger had 5 pickles on it as oppose to the 4 I had asked for. I thought that was hilarious because I would have thought that there would have been less than 4.
The management process that I had witnessed was very simple and basic. I feel that they were very sufficient because it was Times Square and they are constantly dealing with magnitudes of people. It is a very popular area and caters to tourists. I would rate the staff’s manufacturing (order preparation) an 8 because they got it done quickly but got my order wrong and gave me 5 pickles. The communication process I would rate a 9 because I spoke with the cashier and gave him my order, then he spoke to the person preparing the burger and the french fries. The coordination a 10 because I got my order within 4 minutes and there was no type of delay or arguing amongst the people working there because I think of the location of the store and they cater to large amounts of people all day and night. The customer service a 10 because he hooked me up and gave me the dollar fries and was very polite and did not ask too many questions about my order and only smirked about my 4 pickles.
If I was brought into McDonald’s as a consultant to help them improve their efficiency the only recommendation I would make to improve operations during special orders were to have it done correctly and maybe some type of pricing list for special orders. Because I was a little lost on whether pickles cost extra or fries without salt are extra as well. But overall the store I went to was very efficient and made everything very easy for me, maybe I would have had a different opinion if I had gone to another location.

No comments: